Last Tuesday evening, 24th February, saw the launch of the Bradford Jewish Exhibition at the London Jewish Cultural Centre in Golders Green. The exhibition runs until near the end of the month, closing on the 26th March. Housed in the former Leo Baeck College, the exhibition comprises photographs, paintings, artefacts and free standing 7 foot high 3D display feature, which highlights some of key achievements of Bradford’s Jewish Community.
These include important social history, such as the many tailors of the city in the 19th and 20th centuries, its contribution to football as well some key figures, such as Harry Kramrisch, a shipping merchant in the wool trade and later Yugoslav-Serbian Consul.
Below are a selection of photos taken by the LJCC on the evening of the exhibition’s launch.
Mrs Lewis, nee Israelstam age 93, with her son. They stand in front of a picture of her father Rabbi Israelstam’s former Spring Gardens Synagogue, home of the Bradford Hebrew Congregation between 1906 and 1970.
Father, son and great great grandfather: Richard Stroud, his son James Stroud and their ancestor Rabbi Joseph Strauss. Behind them is picture of Alice Strauss, Joseph’s wife.
Richard Stroud, his son James and Richards youngest brother Neil in front a picture of their forebear, Rabbi Dr Joseph Strauss, Rabbi of Bradford between 1877 and 1922. To the left of Neil is picture of an older Joseph, with his son Ozzie, and Ozzie’s son Roy, Richard and Neil’s father as a baby.
Members of the Bradford Jewish Community In front of a print depicting Bradford’s Jewish connections by artist Beverley-Jane Stewart.
Ex Bradfordians and present day Londoners attend the Bradford Jewish exhibition launch at the London Jewish Cultural Centre.
Mounted and framed – Icons of Jewish Bradford.
Three chairs and a former Lord Mayor: Portrait photograph of textile ‘Merchant Prince’ Jacob Moser, Lord Mayor of Bradford 1910-11.
Long-shot of the exhibition hall towards the end of the evening.
A blurry crowd scene, as the guests make conversation.
Two former Jewish Bradfordians talk about old times.
Reminiscence: Two Jewish ‘old boys’ of the Bradford Grammar School look back at their roots in the woollen city. One stands in front of a feature about his father and grandfather , tailors in the city during the early 20th century.
Attendees view the photographs of taken at the launch of the Bradford Jewish Heritage Trail at Bowland Street Synagogue, from September 2013.
Artefacts: A display case of Bradford Jewish artefacts, including a Siddur (prayerbook) which was printed in the city. Also photos of the 2013 deconsecration service of the Bradford Hebrew Congregation’s Springhurst Road Synagogue.
Artefacts: Discovered in the vaults of Bradford’s City Hall, the ‘Town Hall Hoard’ includes a silver cased Megillah (Scroll of Esther from Purim, festival of Lots) and a scroll gifted to Bradford’s Lord Mayor Jacob Moser circa 1910 by the Bezalel School of Art in Jerusalem, as a thank you for his enormously generous support and patronage.
Late in the evening, the wine flows as does the conversation.